Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound Editor's Dilemma
When it comes to making recordings of free improvisations, I find myself torn when it comes to editing my performances. I guess you'd call it a moral quandary. It has to do with how much post-production editing is permissible. That's because (to me at least) one of the most important aspect of free improvisation is that it is created "on the fly". It is supposed to be spontaneous. So, if I had filters and effects, am I destroying the spontaneous nature of my musical creation?

Technically, it would probably be easier to record my performances with maximum fidelity and minimum effects. No distortion. No reverb or delay. And then, after it's recorded, I can add any effects that I want using me DAW. 

What do others think of this? Am I making too much of this?
Artist and Musician in Victoria, BC. 
Lap Steel, Flute, Harmonica, Ukulele
papadafoe.com, revich.bandcamp.com
(11-19-2020, 11:17 AM)Allan Wrote: When it comes to making recordings of free improvisations, I find myself torn when it comes to editing my performances. I guess you'd call it a moral quandary. It has to do with how much post-production editing is permissible. That's because (to me at least) one of the most important aspect of free improvisation is that it is created "on the fly". It is supposed to be spontaneous. So, if I had filters and effects, am I destroying the spontaneous nature of my musical creation?

Technically, it would probably be easier to record my performances with maximum fidelity and minimum effects. No distortion. No reverb or delay. And then, after it's recorded, I can add any effects that I want using me DAW. 

What do others think of this? Am I making too much of this?

I think the answer is pretty straightforward:
If the objective is produce a piece of music (key word being produced) then anything goes. Post prod adding affects, EQ or whatever. But if the objective is to create a free form piece that reflects, as best possible the ephemerial nature of music then leave it unaltered.

Does this make sense?