Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap Steel
A couple years ago I decided to pick up the lap steel, and I fell in love with the instrument. I've never been a big country music fan, or had any desire to play Hawaiian songs, but I've found the possibilities for free improvisation to be virtually unlimited. Everything from blues based and jazz based improvisation to prepared lap steel, drone, ambient, and noise is possible with this cool little instrument.

My current tunings are D6  DADF#BD on my 6-strings, and D13  on my 7-strings, cDADF#BD. The C on string 7 is re-entrant... almost an octave higher than the D on string 6.
Artist and Musician in Victoria, BC. 
Lap Steel, Flute, Harmonica, Ukulele
papadafoe.com, revich.bandcamp.com
Thanks for starting this Allan.  I exclusively play the Eddie Alkire tuning on a 10 string Eharp. Tuning from bottom to top is C# E F F# G G# A B C# E.   It allows any chord to be played with straight bar using 4 finger chords.
(11-19-2020, 06:35 AM)BillMcCloskey Wrote: Thanks for starting this Allan.  I exclusively play the Eddie Alkire tuning on a 10 string Eharp. Tuning from bottom to top is C# E F F# G G# A B C# E.   It allows any chord to be played with straight bar using 4 finger chords.

Glad you're here Bill. Looking forward to your posts.
I've recently changed my tunings to Major 7ths, with my favourite being Fmaj7.
On 6 strings it's F C F A C E
On 7 strings it's F A C F A C E, except for my reentrant tuned Fouke Industrial Guitar which is tuned a F C F A C E.

This gives me easy majors and minors, in addition to the Major 7th and Minor 7th on every fret.